"...Japan was already defeated ... dropping the bomb was completely unnecessary ... I thought that our country should avoid shocking world opinion by the use of a weapon whose employment was, I thought, no longer mandatory as a measure to save American lives."
Dwight D. Eisenhower, 1963, Mandate for Change.
Amendment 2492 to S. 1197, the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) for FY 2014, sponsored by Senator Maria Cantwell, (D-WA), & co-sponsored by: Senators Patty Murray (D-WA), Tom Udall (D-NM), and Martin Heinrich (D-NM).
This amendment was defeated and not included in the final NDAA, H.R. 3304, for FY 2014, signed into law (113-66) by the President on Dec. 26, 2013.
LANL's National Security Science article on MPNHP, Apr 2016
LANL video on the MPNHP
Manhattan Project National Historical Park
Study Group letters and related media coverage
- Telling The Story Of The Manhattan Project, KUNM Call-In show, Greg Mello and other guests, Jun 23, 2016
- Los Alamos team visits Japan to gain perspective on atomic bombings, Santa Fe New Mexican, Mar 24, 2016
- Gateway to three national parks discussed, Los Alamos Monitor, Mar 20, 2016
- Manhattan Project Park committee reviews progress, Los Alamos Monitor, Jan 20, 2016
- Feds start work on Manhattan Project Nat’l Park, Los Alamos Monitor, Jan 16, 2016
- Manhattan Project National Historical Park Commemorates Development Of Atomic Bomb, Tech Times, Nov 12, 2015
- "Manhattan Project National Historical Park" dedication ceremony - children's performance, (video is posterized to protect the identities of the children), Nov 11, 2015
- Manhattan Project park moves ahead, Albuquerque Journal, Nov 11, 2015
- Manhattan Project park aims to portray inclusive history of Atomic Age, Santa Fe New Mexican, Nov 11, 2015
- The “Manhattan Project National Historical Park”: Moral Failure for America, Danger to Us and the World, LASG brochure, Nov 11, 2015
- New national park marks development of nuclear bomb, Associated Press, Nov 10, 2015
- DOE, Park Service to Create New National Park for Old Nuclear Weapons – the Ones Dropped on Cities, press release, Nov 9, 2015
- Manhattan Project Park signing set, Los Alamos Monitor, Nov 9, 2015
- Senators' tour of park sparks talk of atomic bomb's place in history, Santa Fe New Mexican, Oct 13, 2015
- Watchdogs applaud stalling of park bill, Los Alamos Monitor, Dec 14, 2013
- Manhattan Project Park stalls in U.S. Senate, Los Alamos Monitor, Dec 14, 2013
- Los Alamos working to create national park, Associated Press, Nov 29, 2013
- Letter to Senators to oppose the Manhattan Project National Historical Park Act, S. 507, Nov 29, 2013
- Bottom of the "Bucket" List: Manhattan Project National Historical Park, Foreign Policy in Focus, Russ Wellen, Jul 27, 2011
- Manhattan Project park should be shelved, The New Mexican editorial, Jul 24, 2011
- A National Park for Nukes? Counterpunch, BondGraham, Jul 20, 2011
- Anti-Nuclear Groups Protest Proposed Manhattan Project Park, New York Times/Greenwire, Jul 19, 2011
- Anti-Nuke Group Fights "Manhattan Project" National Park Plan... Because It "Glorifies Bombs,"Seattle Weekly, Jul 19, 2011
- Anti-nuke groups to fight Manhattan Project parks, Associated Press, Jul 18, 2011
- Proposed Manhattan project park advances, Santa Fe New Mexican, Jul 8, 2013
LANL Gun Site where the bomb dropped on Hiroshima was assembled.
LANL quonset hut where the bomb dropped on Nagasaki was assembled. Photo: LANL
Gun Site - Photo: LANL
V-Site - Photo: LANL
Pond Cabin - Photo: LANL